[OM] Re: Image Contest

Subject: [OM] Re: Image Contest
From: Bill_J._Rice_at_RLT012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:11:13 -0500
Pauls0627@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 5/24/99 9:14:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>jahudson@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>> Why not make the entry rules very simple?
>>
>>  Make of camera body ......... Olympus
>>  Lens .......... any make, any focal length
>>  Subject and location .......... no restriction
>>  Film ........ no restriction
>>
>>  Now everyone should be able to enter.

>I think this is the best way to go, at least to start. Let's keep it simple,
>and we can worry about contests, voting, categories, etc... later. The only
>thing I would add is a (brief) time period in which the photos are taken. I
>think maybe a week sounds about right. This will tie things together a little
>bit, and avoid people sending in just their best stuff. It will help
>differentiate this from the Gallery.

>Paul Schings
>Coventry, Rhode Island, USA

     I put my vote in favor of the above comments.  Keep things simple so
     we can concentrate on the photographic art rather than the
     technicalities.  A suggestion for the time period could be what
     Olympus used for their Photovision books.  They would select a
     milestone event during the year (i.e. summer solstice), and a specific
     time, (i.e. 16:00 hrs. GMT).  At this specific moment in time,
     photographers around the world would snap their shots and the results
     would be published in Photovision.  There were 3 volumes published in
     the early 80's.  The title of each volume was called 'One Moment of
     the World'.  I think they used different dates and times for each
     volume.

     While the time requirement sounds restrictive, it's a neat thought
     that we could all be taking our photos simultaneously.  Instead, to
     keep it simple, maybe we could just use the date, June 21, 1999.  If
     we use all the solstices and equinoxes, we could do this 4 times per
     year.

     Just my 2 cents.

     Bill Rice
     Round Lake, Illinois, USA