Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:50:18 EDT
Tomoko writes:

<< For the field condition, when you have plenty of light and when your goal
is not as severe as the reproduction of a geological survey map of 60" long,
you might be able to get away with even handholding the camera with the
200mm/4/5. >>

I've probably mentioned this before, but I'll repeat: I'm shooting at a
photoflooded illumination level 3 stops below bright sunlight.  Thus, the
test conditions approximate overcast skies.  With my ISO 64 film, I'm
shooting 1/125 sec. at f/4.  That's not atypical of use, nor is a 1:40
magnification ratio, which is a full body shot of a typical teenager.

With a f/1.4 lens, I'm using 1/1000th at f/1.4  I couldn't have boosted my
light level any higher since I'm at the upper speed limit of the shutter of a
OM-1.

Subjects with no fine detail or with detail of predominately high contrast
can be shot with a lens setting only attaining a C grade and produce
acceptable results.  But an A grade will bring out the split ends on the
above teen's hair, if that is what one is wanting to capture.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV