Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:59:49 EDT
George A. writes:

> As for the Bogen 3rd leg thingy, can u describe briefly how 'easy' it is
>  to use? IOW, is it practical only for setting a particular shot by
>  tightening everything down?  Or is there a more dynamic support, such
>  that one could use a ball head and move, compose and shoot with the
>  Bogen following along (within mechanical limits of course.

Thanks for the kudos.  The Bogen Telephoto Lens Support isn't a tripod leg.
It is a U-shaped crable with a uni-directional (pivoting) tripod head on one
end and a rubber padded V on the other end.  The lens rests in the V (by
pivoting the camera downwards) and the lens is clamped down with a velcro
strap.  The tripod is then screwed into the middle of the cradle.

Strapping down the lens will result in a focus and composition shift to most
long Zuiko lenses.  It'll be necessary to recompose and refocus after
tightening.  A little tweaking (in adjusting the length of the cradle) can
give a setup when the velcro straps down the lens hood rather than the
barrel, thus making tweaking less dramatic.

Mine cost $44 or so.  I'd highly recommend it for landscape work with long
zooms and tripod socket-less telephoto lenses.  It weights 1 lb. 6 oz.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV