[OM] pointless and uncalled-for remarks; backup camera; maximum lens spe

Subject: [OM] pointless and uncalled-for remarks; backup camera; maximum lens speed; blue dots
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 04:02:13 -0700
>> "Kodachrome" was written and sung by Paul Simon, on his own.
>> A briefsearch on the Internet produced the lyrics:

<lyrics deleted>

Les Clark writes:

> I'll stick to my Mozart, thanks.

Peter Klein responded:

Bravo, bravissimo, Signor Contino.

The line is actually

Se vuol ballare,
Signor Contino...

If you're going to quote da Ponte/Beaumarchais, at least get it right.

I posted the "Kodachrome" lyrics simply as a point of interest. I DO NOT
understand why this necessitated an unnecessary response that was both a snide
put-down of Paul Simon and a snobbish assertion of the poster's superior taste.

Two can play at this game: Last Thursday I bought the Grove's Dictionary of
Opera. It was the full hard-cover edition, and lthough I got a discount, it
still cost $600 + shipping. Hah!

Would anyone care for me to list the large number of Olympus lenses and
accessories I own? (I didn't think so.)

And please don't tell me I've misinterpreted Les Clark's posting. When I can't
see the writer's face, or hear the tone of their voice, I can only call 'em as I
read 'em.

The moral? When you post something, ask yourself two questions: Why am I posting
this? How are people going to react to what I've posted?

Self-censorship is not unconstitutional.

If the woman with the Nikon wonderbrick wants a fully mechanical backup camera,
wouldn't it make more sense for her to buy the Nikon version of the OM-2000?

Many years ago I read that the maximum lens speed possible in air was f/0.7. The
author gave no explanation of why. I have a theory or two, but (assuming this
statement is true) does anyone actually _know_ the reason?

Doris was actually thinking of "blue-light specials" at K-mart. Blue dot refers
to flashbulbs. Sylvania used to put a _shmeer_ cobalt chloride on the
inside-front surface. As long as the buld remained intact, the dot remained
blue. If the bulb cracked, air got in and the moisture turned the cobalt
chloride pale pink. Hence "blue dots for sure shots."

Not to be confused with the German firm Blaupunkt (blue point).