Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:20:24 -0700
Having just started a Photo Gallery
(http://www.sfu.ca/~lowry/photos/gallery.html (commentary appreciated)),
using a flatbed and B & W prints, I'm looking to expand my horizons into
film (especially slide) scanning.  Consequently, I'm very interested in this
discussion  of film scanners and want to get a decent one.  I've heard good
things about the Quick Scan 35 Plus, but it is a little beyond my price
range.  The fact is that due to the speed of obsolescence I'm hesitant to
spend much money on any piece of computer equipment--ultimately I know I
will if I have to.

The cheapest reasonable alternative I've come across in my short search is
the HP Photo Smart film scanner.  But in spite of it low price, I'm not
convinced that this is good purchase.  At this point, I mainly want
something that will scan slide to display on screen and don't yet see myself
doing a lot of digital manipulation for high quality film/print output.
Cibachromes are still good enough for me.

I'd like to hear from anyone using the HP.  Or if there is some other
reasonably priced film scanner that you're using and I should know about
please let me know.

Thanks
Glen