Re: [OM] pointless and uncalled-for remarks

Subject: Re: [OM] pointless and uncalled-for remarks
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:54:36 -0700
At 04:02 AM 05/26/1999 -0700, William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> "Kodachrome" was written and sung by Paul Simon, on his own.
>>> A briefsearch on the Internet produced the lyrics:
>
><lyrics deleted>
>
>Les Clark writes:
>
>> I'll stick to my Mozart, thanks.
>

>Peter Klein responded:
>
>Bravo, bravissimo, Signor Contino.
>

>The line is actually
>
>Se vuol ballare,
>Signor Contino...
>
>If you're going to quote da Ponte/Beaumarchais, at least get it right.

I am well aware of the correct lines.  The words "bravo, bravissimo" appear
in many Italian-language operas, including a famous aria from the *other*
Figaro opera.  I believe that they're in Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro" as
well.  What I posted was deliberate parody, in other words, it was a *joke*.

>I posted the "Kodachrome" lyrics simply as a point of interest. I DO NOT
>understand why this necessitated an unnecessary response that was both a
snide
>put-down of Paul Simon and a snobbish assertion of the poster's superior
taste.

Classical music often seems an endangered species here in the U.S., so I
always like to boost it.  My remark was intended to laud Les for his
appreciation of Mozart, nothing more.  Actually, I like Paul Simon, too.
But if I was on a desert island and could have only one composer's music,
I'd pick Mozart.  If that's snobbery, so be it.

I apologize if my remark could be interpreted as a put-down. It was not
intended to be one.

Perhaps we should disband this list (NOT!!!)  After all, our constant
assertions that Olympus products are superior must be offensive and
snobbish to the vast majority of people who like photography.  Our snide
put-down of N*k*n and C*n*n by refusing to spell their full names must be
equally incorrect.

Perhaps a good rule of thumb for this list would be:  "Never attribute to
malice that which can be explained by the spirit of good fun."

--- Peter