Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions? G2 comments

Subject: Re: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions? G2 comments
From: Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 00:24:48 +0300

> >The other alternative, and probably a better camera overall, is
> >the terrific Contax G1 or G2.  This is a terrific, professional
> >quality P&S camera, with a titanium body, AF, AE, _and_ manual
> >override for almost every function.  Furthermore, you get a fast
> >45/f2 std. lens, as well as a selection of 5-6 other lenses,
> >incl. such exotica as 16/f8 fisheye, 21/f2.8 super-wide, 28/f2.8
> >wide angle, etc.  All lenses are Carl Zeiss.
>
> I have a G2, and another G2 that I recently sold to a friend for $800
> ($1600 with 45, 90 and tla200 flash). The lenses are superb, but the
> dang focus mechanism is very irritating. The focus always retracts back
> past infinity, even in manual mode, when the shutter button is
> released. So every time you depress the shutter release, the focus
> motor runs, even in manual mode. There is no way to just fix the focus
> and have it stay there. If it weren't for that feature, I would like
> this camera. When using auto-focus, the focus sensor is a small
> center square in the viewer. When using the shutter release button, in
> SAF mode, you can point the auto-focus square at something, depress the
> shutter 1/2, hold the button, and it will then hold the focus while you
> reframe. However, the electronic release does not have a half way
> position, which means it will focus when you take the picture and focus
> only on the center of the frame. In manual focus mode, you can set
> focus by an indicator in the view finder or by reading meters off the
> top of the camera. The shutter and film advance are not too noisy, but
> noticiable. The focus motor is noisy, IMO. The 21mm lens is nice. There
> is a separate attachable viewer for the 21mm, which does not have the
> same curvature correction as the lens.
>
> Wayne
Wayne.
I have the G1 and G2 and every single lenes, It is nature's course for us
zuikoholics to go that way. Eh? Denton T.?????
Contax is the future, it is what Olympus Should and could have been, but it is
NOT. Contax is the future of Olympus. Superb optics, superb cameras.... Try the
new Aria... Bye Bye Oms for me....
Strangely enough, I had asked a fe years back about were Olympians would go If
the ir system died (which it unfortunaley has "died"). The vast majority did say
Contax, I after I said my point of view... Leica is too expensive....
Zeiss lenses have a magic of their own.

--
Regards,
Alexander