RE: [OM] enlargement

Subject: RE: [OM] enlargement
From: "Ángel Lobo" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 11:37:34 +0200
On 27 May George writes:

> I just wanted to pass on something that surprised me.
>
> Sunday night, as a test, I made a 16 x 20 Ilfochrome Classic Glossy
Deluxe (formerly known as Cibachrome) print from a 35mm slide.  This
particular slide contains an image which I like a lot, but I hadn't thought
I'd ever print it above 11 x 14 because 1) it was taken on 100 speed chrome
film and 2) It was taken with an 'S' series Zuiko, one of the 'bad
performers' in Gary Reese's tests, the 100-200/5 zoom.  To compond matters
there's both foreground (appx 12-20 feet) objects and infinity objects
which needed to be sharp, so the lens was hyper-focussed.

> Well, the resulting print is quite acceptable. Much better than I had
hoped.  It'll never be mistaken for a print from 4 x 5 or even from my
Zuiko 50/1.2, but it's still a darn nice print.

> I guess the moral is: Don't dis a Zuiko S.

George,one of my best Cibachrome enlargements is from a slide ( Velvia 50)
 taken with 75-150 (on 95mm)  at  !! f 5.6 !! . As all we know, this is
not the best f number of the best Zuiko zoom, but...

Is the image of a train passing on a lanscape with mountains, clouds, etc,
etc.
I must shot on v. 125 and choose f 5.6... and the slide is very very nice.

Frequently I defend the modest Zuiko zooms: "S series", 75-150, etc.  This
is the reason for me of to want to know the performance of these lenses on
the differents f numbers on Gary Reese tests, other tests and the own
experience.

Ángel Lobo
CUENCA (Spain)