Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 07:47:02 -0500
On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 04:09:32AM -0400, Denton Taylor wrote:
> >>Good luck. FWIW, I'd recommend staying far, far away from the Minolta: their
> scanners all will only work with an Adaptec SCSI controller, and to me, this
> spells broken SCSI implementation. Who knows what else doesn't work and
> should?>>
> That's not true. Mine is working happily with another brand of card.

Consider yourself fortunate. My father had to go buy an Adaptec when the
Minolta refused to work with his NCR/Symbios Logic-based card, and Minolta
refused to do anything but tell him to go buy an Adaptec. This is also the
experience of more than a few folks on Usenet. One person even reported that
he couldn't get his to work with an Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI card. Minolta
explicitly states in all of their documentation that they only support
Adaptec cards. Minolta explains this by saying that they consider Adaptec
the standard of the industry. While this may be true, the idea of SCSI is
interoperability, and Minolta's attitude is just plain wrong.

I'm happy it works for you, but that doesn't change my recomendation.