Re: 200/4 vs 200/5 & tripod was: Re: [OM] enlargement

Subject: Re: 200/4 vs 200/5 & tripod was: Re: [OM] enlargement
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:25:23 -0500
At 09:05 AM 5/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Last week I finally got around to doing some test shots with my 200/4
>MC and 200/5 SC.

snip

>Not surprisingly, both lenses produced comparable results. Both
>lenses produced the sharpest results at f/8 and f/16 (I tested wide
>open, f/8, f/16, & f/32). The 200/5 was noticeably sharper than the
>200/4 at f/8, and was somewhat sharper at f/16, but it was hard to
>tell the difference wide open and at 32. The 200/5 had higher
>contrast overall.
>
>What was surprising is that ALL of the shots were noticeably soft,
>presumably from vibration. My hand held and monopod mounted shots
>have always been sharper, and my landscape/sunset shots have never
>suffered from lack of sharpness with these lenses. Clearly, the
>much-discussed "tripod effect" is stronger than I realized, and I'll
>have to adjust my shooting accordingly.
>
>Unfortunately, the results were less clear for the 200/4 vs 200/5.
>For tripod mounted shots, there's no question that my 200/5 was
>sharper, and that f/8 to f/16 is this lens's optimal range . However,
>I'm not sure how much of the 200/4's softness was due to vibration,
>so I've done a round of hand held shots at optimum aperture to see if
>the difference holds up. I suppose for completeness, I should also do
>a few side by side monopod shots- maybe tomorrow...
>
>BBB

Thanks for sharing your results, Barry.  I take it that you mounted the
lenses and used a cable release (or timer)?  Since you feel you've gotten
better results with a monopod, perhaps the technique mentioned a week or so
ago of bracing the camera and lens even on the tripod and releasing the
shutter with one's finger is another technique we should exploit.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA