Re: [OM] Good-bye

Subject: Re: [OM] Good-bye
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 18:12:29 +0100

And Frank wrote:

>Maybe the same has happened here on the list, with you in the teaching
>role and some (not many) list members being the high school students.

While I'm sorry that William has decided to leave us, and Frank's point is
well taken, I thought that this was a *discussion* group. We're not in high
school, we're not here to be "taught", but we can all learn something from
other contributors to the list.  *Nobody* is knowledgable about everything,
even teachers, however well meaning they might be.  We are adults here and
for anyone to consider that their understanding and knowledge of a topic is
the only 100% accurate and valid one smacks to me of arrogance.  It may
well be necessary for a high school teacher to take the attitude that
they're always right in order to get their knowledge across to schoolkids,
but that's inappropriate to a forum which essentially exists for people to
discuss their common interest, nay passion, for a subject which for most of
us is a leisure pastime.   The great thing about this list is the enormous
amount of knowledge and experience that exists among its members; whatever
the enquiry, there'll be somebody here who can answer it.  But there's no
need for anyone to pontificate!

So William is tired of people disagreeing with him.  Perhaps he might
consider for a moment that they might conceivably be right and he might be
wrong, and accept the fact with a good grace instead of going off in a huff.

If nobody ever questioned the teachers, they'd still be telling us the
Earth is the centre of the universe....

Respectfully,
Richard