Re: [OM] 300mm/F2.8 US.Zuiko???

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm/F2.8 US.Zuiko???
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 20:35:57 GMT
On Thu, 27 May 1999 19:36:00 +0200, "Hans van Veluwen"
<mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I visited today a camera store (where I, btw, rescued a 21mm/F3.5 Zuiko for
>$250 because it told me it was lonely :-), and the shopkeeper told me he
>recently sold a very special Olympus lens for about $1500. It had, according
>to him, its distance scale *only* in feet, not in meters, and he thought it
>was a 300mm/F2.8, made specially for the American market. I asked him twice
>if it wasn't the 350/2.8, be he was convinced it was a 300mm. Is this known
>to anybody? Did Olympus actually make special, non-standard Zuiko line
>lenses on demand, or only for the American market? If so, what would be the
>actual value of such a lens (the shopkeeper was already sorry he didn't ask
>more)?
>
>Hans

Hans,

I don't know about this long lens but some Zuikos are different in the
US from the rest of the world. I think this applies especially for
macro lenses: the 50mm macro has a scale in meters and another one for
magnification ratio, while in the US it has a scale in feets (and the
same for magnification).

I know that Olympus (or better: Zuiko) has indeed made special lenses
for all kinds of purposes, like large video cameras, movie cameras,
and also other brand photographic camera. Maybe the 300 was one of
these....

Frank van Lindert.
Utrecht Holland.