[OM] good-bye

Subject: [OM] good-bye
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:45:01 -0700
>From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I'm tired of posting accurate technical information...
>
>I'm tired of being told...
>
>I will not be posting to this group any more. It's a waste of my time.

It's too bad you feel that way. I've trimmed and juxtaposed some of what
you read, thinking it perhaps captures the essense of the problem.

This list -- indeed any Internet venue -- is best approached as a
conversation. If you aren't open to feedback, then of course it will appear
a waste of time.

I've found some of your postings interesting and enlightening, others
muddled and confusing, and more than one or two just outright wrong. It is
only when you are adamant in the face of gentle correction or questioning
that some people become more insistant, perhaps leading you to feel like
you are "being told" rather than taking part in a dialog.

Do you ever consider that perhaps you have to "reexplain it 20 times to
people" because you are wrong? It's an enlightening exercise, even when you
know you are right! :-)

I'm not always successful, but when someone questions me, I try first to
see the truth in their questions before I try to defend myself or rebuke
them. And when I find myself embroiled in controversey, it is usually
because I haven't followed this rule.

Good luck with your photography, William -- and try not to take things so
seriously and personally.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229