DRe: [OM] OM-4 Meter Reading

Subject: DRe: [OM] OM-4 Meter Reading
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:23:08 -0400
John Hermanson wrote:

>There is something wrong, probably a dry asa dial circuit board.  A
>temporary fix would be to twist the comp dial back & forth between  +-2.
>This might  clean  the circuit by rubbing the brushes acrss the resistive
>element.
Since somebody else had mentioned earlier the dirty resister or something like
that, I had decided to do exactly what you suggested above.  Since then, the
overshooting of the meter has not happened.

Otherwise my meter reading seems to be accurate.  I tested it this evening by
using my OM-4 with the 85mm/2 on as a spot meter because as I was testing a
rented NPC Polaroid back on my Mamiya 6, I kept getting underexposed Polaroid
prints using the Mamiya's autoexposure mode, which gave a correct exposure
earlier in the day.  When I used the spot-metered values and manually set the
exposure, I got a correct exposure.  (I managed to remove the back door from the
Mamiya 6 on my own.)

Now back to the OM-4.  I also have a funny LCD indication on the 4.  Most times
when the meter is turned on, +- comes on even though the exposure compensation
dial is set to the neutral position.  I have to jiggle the dial to make the +-
disappear.

Is this also related to any problems with the asa dial circuit board?  As you
might know I did not pay too much for this ($175 including the 50mm/1.4 lens), I
am afraid that the store would be willing to have any repair done.  Their policy
is if the repair is too costly, they would accept the return and refund the
money.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/