Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] A Zukiholic with a new film scanner
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:45:05 -0500
On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 05:36:57PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> >... FWIW, I'd recommend staying far, far away from the Minolta: their
> >scanners all will only work with an Adaptec SCSI controller...
> They work fine with the built-in SCSI on four different Macs I've tried,
> from an ancient, 14-year-old Mac II, to a 9500 with a G3 upgrade card.

...all of which, I believe, use Adaptec controller chips.

> Perhaps the problem is cheap SCSI controller cards, not Minolta?

Well, it didn't work with a Diamond Multimedia Fireport 40, based on the
Symbios Logic 53C875...hardly a cheap card, and arguably one of the most
standard ones around.

When one device refuses to work with the overwhelming majority of SCSI
controllers, yet the overwhelming majority of SCSI devices have no trouble
doing so, I'll put my money on the device being broken. How would you feel
if you were told your shiny new OM-4Ti would only make pictures on Kodak
film, and if you had a stock of Velvia you wanted to use with it, you were
out of luck? SCSI is just that standardized, and failure to work with a wide
variety of controllers is sign of significant breakage.