Re: [OM] Re: 100 f/2 vs 90 f/2 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 100 f/2 vs 90 f/2 Macro
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 23:22:06 +0200
MorrisMini@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, I'm getting ready to purchase my first new Zuiko in 20 years

tatataaa...

> which
> way to go:  100 f/2 or 90 f/2 Macro.

> Cost is not the issue

Simple taste... Only the best...

> Size and weight
> are so similar as to be a meaningless difference.  The built-in hood on the
> 100 is nice, but not a critical point.

The hood of the 100mm is short, very short. So in this regards it has no
advantage over the 90mm.

An isue is handling and there the 100mm is better than the 90mm, because
of the longer extension the aperture ring of the 90mm is on the back
near to the shutter ring. Combined with the large diameter of the lens
this makes the handling in manual mode dificult. The 100mm lens barrel
is of similar diameter but the circumference gets reduced closer to the
mount.

Handling wise the 100mm wins.

> I am doing mostly nature photography with a keen interest in close-up and
> macro work, although interests continue to grow with an eye on portaiture.

90mm is nice for taking portraits.

The possibility to go straight to 1:2 (instead of 1:5 with the 100mm)
wins the macro contest.

> So those of you who have either (or both?!)--whatta ya think?  Is the
> convenience of having the built-in macro capability of the 90 worth a
> <slightly> less sharp f/11-22 range used so much in close-ups?

Hmm, I can not believe that an dedicated macro lens is bad in close up.
There was an test of the CoFo magazin which showed, that this lens
belongs in the same league as the Zeiss and Leitz (Leica) macros, other
macros had to eat the dust. I posted this test some times ago.

> Your input is appreciated--I'm starting to twitch like a horse in a fly swarm
> with indecision.

For general photography I would choose the 100mm, for macro the 90mm.
Surprise surprise... ;-)

Regards

Richard