Re: [OM] OT about punching up colors

Subject: Re: [OM] OT about punching up colors
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:19:50 +0100
>For even greater colour saturation you could try Agfa Ultra (iso 50).  I
have only
>tried this film once as I had great trouble when it came to printing.
There was too
>much colour saturation and it was skewed in favour of orange/red.  I had a
very
>cooperative processor who tried numerous colour settings on the machine
but we could
>find no setting which would give a pleasing believable result.  When one
setting was
>altered to try and get a particular colour to look right another would
look wrong.
>A pro lab might be able to do wonders printing from ultra but that would
become
>expensive.

I rarely use colour neg film at all, but a friend recently gave me a few
rolls of Ultra 50.  It was a few months past its use-by date but kept in
the fridge so was probably OK.  I processed the negs myself (the first time
I've ever done any C41 processing) and printed them on Fuji Crystal Archive
paper, using Photocolor FP chemicals for both negs and prints.

Result:  very nice, accurate colour (sp ;-) ), in fact the best colour
prints I've seen for some time.  The main reason I don't use colneg is the
poor results I've had in the past with commercial processing.  I wanted to
find out if it was the materials or the processing that was at fault -
seems the latter.  The Afga film gave well saturated colours, but not OTT
as would be the case with Velvia/Ilfochrome (I've done plenty of that too)
and very fine grain.  In short, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.  By
comparison, the results I got from Fuji Reala 100 (commercially processed)
were disappointing.

BTW, if you're printing Ilfochrome, Kodachrome gives the best results IMHO.
 I've had problems with colour crossover when printing Fuji onto
Ilfochrome, and this seems to be a recognised problem.

Best
Richard