Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 00:26:21 -0700
Doris wrote:

>   The test I would like to see would be regarding different styles of
>TRIPODS (using the same camera(s) for consistency). Do braces really
>make THAT much of a difference ? Are the W-leg type tripods any better ?
>Are larger tripods that much more stable ?
>
>                                Just wondering...
>                                   *= Doris Fang =*
>
>  How much are those laser dealies ?

I would find that interesting too. One web site that I looked at too long
ago to remember where had a few tripod tests done by a woman photographer
based on ripples in a water surface suspended on the tripod ala Jurassic
Park. She concluded that there was little correlation between water ripples
and how sharp the exposure was, i.e. any and all movement caused ripples no
matter which tripod, even movements which were too small to degrade the
picture.

It seems to me that a laser dealie mounted on a lens is not going to show
much since the light beam and the lens are going to be moving in concert
and watching the laser beam dance on a target might tell you a little, but
not much. Seems like one would want to have a stationary point light source
that you would photograph. Examination of the photo would tell you how much
the camera was bobbing on the tripod by the size of the squiggle.

I did see a series of articles in a magazine in which something similar was
done. I cannot remember which magazine. The photographer stuck a Questar
cat on the front of several cameras, aimed it some city lights at night and
clicked the shutter with film in at different speeds. I remember the Oly
did not come off well in the comparison, but I don't remember the model or
whether MLU or self timer were used. It might be easy to duplicate if
someone has a view from where they live and they have a fairly long lens or
an unbalanced combination like the 200F4 and OM1.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx