[OM] Swedish photo magazine test of compact cameras

Subject: [OM] Swedish photo magazine test of compact cameras
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:36:31 +0200
Hi all

I've just read the yearly test of the latest compact cameras in the Swedish
photo magazine FOTO no. 6/99. A total of 33 new models was tested, of which
only 2 were of the fixed lens type. Both were Ricoh models and they received
the highest points for both picture quality and total impression. The rest were
all zoom cameras with 15 being regular 35 mm models and 16 being APS models.
Out of these 31 zoom models only 5 received the highest points (5 out of 5) for
both picture quality and total impression. Anyone who can quess how many of
those 5 top ranking models were Olympus cameras? No less than 3!

The 5 top ranking models were the Olympus my II Zoom 80, the Pentax Espio 115G,
the Olympus my Zoom Wide 80, the Olympus Newpic Zoom 600 APS and the Minolta
Vectis Weathermatic Zoom APS. Both Olympus my models received the highest
points in total impression for their "excellent picture quality in combination
with with a compact and yet robust design". The only other Olympus model
participating was the Olympus i Zoom 75 APS which received 3 (out of 5) points
for picture quality and 3 (out of 5) for total impression. In spite of the
excellent sharpness of the zoom lens the somewhat unsure exposure of this model
made it a medium ranking model. No Olympus IS models participated. Sorry for
the non-US model designation, but I'm not familiar enough with these.

No OM content but nice to know though that Olympus still is in the lead in some
areas.

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden