Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:39:55 +0000
You have given me an idea.  How about a box with gyroscopes in it which you can
attach the camera or lens to in order to stabilise the whole rig so you can
shoot
hand held as if you had a tripod.

I realise this is probably not a new idea and it would probably be heavy but
some
tripods can get quite hefty and such a device would likely be more compact than
many
a tripod.  Might be a bit expensive though.

I think Carbon Fibre tripod legs are going to be the way to go.  If you exclude
Boron Fibres and some other such exotics, Carbon Fibre has about the highest
affordable stiffness to weight ratio.  As a result, vibrations are damped
out very quickly and the frequency of resonance is high.

Do I hear Ken gearing up to jump all over me? ;-)

Giles