Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:20:32 -0400
And I was just getting used to the idea of carrying a tripod to improve
my photo's!
All the time I thought that if I just used the tripod I would get
those sharp looking pics you all talk about.  I knew about using MLU
for Macro and Telephoto.
Now I am worried that even a tripod is not enough.
Just look at all the things to consider!
And my OM1 and 2 vibrate like jackhammers.

Oh well, back to that oil painting effect.  <[:-o
(I'm wearing a hat because it's raining.)

Charlie L.

<<1.- Are wood, titanium or carbon measurably better at dampening
      vibrations ? (before I pop for a Gitzo Carbon...:-)

 << 2.- Does bracing make a difference ? Does a sleeve for the center
      column ? Intuitively, it seems like either helps tame
      longitudinal vibes along the center column (unless one
      follows instructions and never extends it...), but that's
      a long way from "proof".

 << 3.- How about sheer heft ? Leg diameter ? Is it worth lugging
      around all those extra pounds ?

  <<4.- Does the tandem-leg (W-type), which many Masters have
      relied on, make any difference ?

 << 5.- How much of an effect do the number of leg sections have ?

  <<6.- Do the shapes of the legs matter ? O, U, or square ?

                           <<    *= Doris Fang =*