Re: [OM] IS-10 Windfall (?)

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-10 Windfall (?)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:13:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/99 7:53:38 PM EST, kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  My question to y'all is, if you've used an
 IS-10, is it worth the repair bill (which I've already paid, so you can
 be objective)? Secondly, whaddya think of that 180mm tele extension?  >>

        My opinion is- If all you paid for it was the repair bill, I would
say it was definitely   worth it. If you first buy an IS-10 and it breaks,
you either have an expensive    paperweight, or you pay the repair bill and
hopefully get some use out of it.
        I have had two IS-10s purchased several years apart and BOTH of them
had to  be repaired while under warranty. They did take excellent photos when
they    worked. The 180mm converter took, I would say, "acceptable to good"
photos  only, not terrific. And the converter is only usable while the IS-10
is zoomed to    its tele (110mm) position. If you try to use it at less
lengths, all you'll get is a    central circular        image on you print or
slide.
        IMO- the IS-10 is certainly NOT up to Olympus' robust standards. If I
were    looking for an IS series camera, I would get the IS-3 which is much
more    solidly built, I feel.
        (I know dozens of people will now respond that their IS-10 has been
the "best       camera  they ever owned,"  this is My Experience Only) ! (And
I no longer have        either IS-10.)

        George S.