Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 08:50:00 -0500
At 11:00 PM 5/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Doris wrote:
>
>> 1.- Are wood, titanium or carbon measurably better at dampening
>>      vibrations ? (before I pop for a Gitzo Carbon...:-)
>>
>>  2.- Does bracing make a difference ? Does a sleeve for the center
>>      column ? Intuitively, it seems like either helps tame
>>      longitudinal vibes along the center column (unless one
>>      follows instructions and never extends it...), but that's
>>      a long way from "proof".
>>
>>  3.- How about sheer heft ? Leg diameter ? Is it worth lugging
>>      around all those extra pounds ?
>>
>>  4.- Does the tandem-leg (W-type), which many Masters have
>>      relied on, make any difference ?
>>
>>  5.- How much of an effect do the number of leg sections have ?
>>
>>  6.- Do the shapes of the legs matter ? O, U, or square ?
>>

>Great questions. I would add, "Is there any inherent stability differences
>between a pan head and a ball head of the same weight especially if there
>is resilient material which is part of the ballhead design?" Does it make a
>difference if there is resilient material or hard metal on the camera
>mounting surface on the head? Does it make a difference if the tripod legs
>are on the rubber feet or the metal spikes? Does mounting a quick release
>plate on the bottom of the Olympus reinforce it enough to dampen flexure of
>the bottom plate with a long unsupported lens?
>
>Although when making decisions about differences in tripod design you have
>to consider how well they are implemented. When the original VW Beetles
>would roll over at the drop of a hat due to the inherent instability of
>their rear swing axle design I was shocked that the very stable Mercedes
>Benz sedan of the same era also used swing axles. They did it much better
>however. Porsches and BMWs use MacPherson strut front suspension as do Ford
>Escorts.
>
>Winsor

I can respond to at least one of these questions.  When I taped a laser
pointer to my 200/f4 and tried it with an OM-1 and OM-2S, I used the Bogen
3221 with both the 3030 pan-tilt head and the 3265 grip-action ball head.
You have to bear in mind that I was not taking scientific measurements but
merely trusting my eyeballs, nevertheless I could discern no difference
between the two different heads.

All of my tests with the Bogen 3221 have been on hard wood floor with
plastic feet. I'm not going to try spikes. I have a thousand other ways to
die at the hands of my wife. ;-)

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA