Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 18:37:27 -0700
>From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  1.- Are wood, titanium or carbon measurably better at dampening
>      vibrations ? (before I pop for a Gitzo Carbon...:-)

I am totally sold on carbon. There is a very noticable difference. I have
heard the same for wood, but have not personally tried a wood tripod.

My experience is comparing a Gitzo 1228 with a Benbo Trekker, and several
other, cheaper aluminums. I don't have scientific tests, just a strong
impression. I just got a Tamron 300/2.8 -- I can move it back and forth
between the two tripods and the difference is very noticable, especially
the more it is extended, but also when both are set to the Benbo's minimum
height.

Buy a carbon for its vibration resistance, and the weight loss is just
frosting!

I have a few "junker" cheap tripods lying around. I'm going to canabalize
one of these to make a telescoping lens support for the 300/2.8.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229