Re: [OM] 72mm Samigon UV-Haze vs. Tiffen Skylight 1-A: which one to kee

Subject: Re: [OM] 72mm Samigon UV-Haze vs. Tiffen Skylight 1-A: which one to keep?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 17:01:48 +0000
At 16:18 5/31/99 , Olaf wrote:

>The second one included a note stating that they'd like me to send back the
>included filter in case the other one also had arrived. I'm an honest
>person, so I'll contact the shop to see how we can best resolve the
>situation. However, before I do that, I'm wondering which filter to keep in
>case one of them will be returned.
>
>Filter 1: Tiffen Skylight 1-A
>Filter 2: Samigon UV-Haze
>
>These filters are fundamentally different (albeit not too much, probably),
>most noticeably so, the 1-A has a slight warm tone. I can't tell if any of
>these filters is MC or not, i.e. there are no indications for that on the
>filter information which is written on the side, and I can't really tell if
>they reflect a special colour (such as green), maybe the Samigon has a faint
>colour reflection but it's difficult to tell.

The UV-Haze and Skylight 1-A (and 1-B) are different filters by definition.
 Neither of them need exposure correction.

The UV-Haze filters out UV light above a specific wavelength.  Although we
cannot see it, film is sensitive to UV which will create a slight haze in
the photograph and reduce its contrast.  The UV-Haze is *not* a color
correction filter.  It is most useful outdoors for scenic photography,
especially for distant subjects and/or at higher altitudes when there is a
*lot* of UV component in the sunlight.  It will *not* get rid of haze from
dust, fog or smog (but will reduce UV reflected from it).

The Skylight 1-A and slightly stronger 1-B filters will filter UV as well,
but they are also "warming" filters and provide a slight color correction.
This is why you see a slight tint to it.  I have encountered confusion from
dealers when asking for a UV as some will interpret this as a request for a
Skylight 1-A.  The Skylight is most useful for slight color correction when
the subject is in the shade illuminated by the light from a blue sky (north
side of a building in the shade of the building), or under an overcast sky,
but not illuminated by direct sunlight.

Skylight filter color correction is more critical for those who shoot slide
films and want a warmer result under shady or overcast conditions.  Print
processors control more color balance than a skylight filter will ever
correct when making prints from color negatives.  Even with Kodachrome and
Ektachrome slides the slightly cooler results in shade or under overcast do
not bother me, so I do not use skylight filters even though I have them.

With a 300mm long telephoto, I would first be concerned about UV-Haze and
then about color correction for shade or overcast due to its general
outdoor use for subjects at long distances.

Hope this helps you choose which to keep and which to send back.

Pure Oly content:
Your 300mm is one of the Zuiko's I've lusted for . . . but realize I
wouldn't use a long tele as much as some of the shorter lenses for my work.
 [sigh]  Some day I will eventually have one.

-- John