Re: [OM] 200m/4 plus Kenko TC: Comparison with the 200/5

Subject: Re: [OM] 200m/4 plus Kenko TC: Comparison with the 200/5
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 19:51:29 -0400
This afternoon I finally got around to finish comparing the results of my tests
with the 200mm/4 and /5 with the Kenko 2X TC.

Here goes some unscientific impressions of my slides with Velvia.  I took these
test photographs with my 200mm/5 SC and a borrowed 200mm/4 MC plus the Kenko 2X
TC (purchased new last July or August).  I used my OM-4T with a self-timer on
all the time.  Perhaps I should mention that my OM-4T is not a mint variety
although
I bought it new in early 1990.   It has met enough of trials and tribulations in
my hands and has never been CLA'd.

In a nutshell, I am pleased to say that the Zuiko 200mm/5 lens is not in anyway
inferior to the 200mm/4 under my testing conditions using the Bogen 3205 and the
3029 and with no additional support or weight. The shutter speeds ranged from
1/60s to 1 sec or longer.   At f4 and f5, both lenses showed
edge softness, but less so with the f5 lens.  In that sense, the slower lens is
better in certain applications when focusing is not difficult when you want to
carry around with you on a hike.

Accidentally the f4 lens results included the area in the top right hand side
much darker in contrast, and as a result, the resolution there was not good as
that with the f5.

I think I got the best results at f11.  The higher f values gave better results
in overall edge to edge sharpness, but the leaves were blurred because of breeze
and interestingly enough, I can see a distinct reduction in sharpness of red
lettering on the bumper sticker at f32 (64) with both of the lenses.  The larger
license-plate numbers are still sharp, but the f11 and f8 slides might have a
slight edge over the f32 slides.  Yet the edges are sharper in the f32 slides.
I wonder the motions of the leaves affected the resolution as these leaves were
right above the car of which license plate and bumper sticker I was observing.

I'll post shortly on my B300 results.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/