RE: [OM] help !! vivitar 5600 module

Subject: RE: [OM] help !! vivitar 5600 module
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 22:22:28 -0400
Mary,
Any flash with a single contact on the hot shoe will work with an OM-1
Yes, the 5600 will work on an OM-1, but in some ways it is overkill.  You're
paying for TTL capabilities that you can't use on an OM-1 (unless your
planning on buying an OM-2n or 2S or 4).
Other flash units in the Vivitar line that would work just fine (non-TTL)
and have a lot of power:
Certainly the 283, 265, 365.
>From Sunpak:
422D, 433D (these are actually TTL units, but pricing is good).
Other flash units from Vivitar giving good results for me have been: 3500
(with OM adapter), 3700, Series 1 600, and the 550 FD (Olympus version).
Of the TTL-capable units the 550 is the least expensive, I got mine on eBay
new for $26.  On the other hand, I got the 5600 in a camera store for $30,
but they had to blow 2" of dust off it.
Look around in camera stores in the used section.  You can often find good
buys for OM there.  I've never bought a used flash that didn't work and
never paid more than $30 in a store or on eBay.

If you have some specific use in mind, let me/us know.  I'm sure we can give
suggestions (hopefully helpful ones).

Brian P. Huber
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx
Troy, OH