[OM] Hi

Subject: [OM] Hi
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:17:39 -0400
On: Mon, 31 May 1999 13:21:55 EDT
Jeffrey E Bellin <jeffbellin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

... I do have a question for anyone who knows. I'm being given an OM2s
this
week. I pretty much know what the differences are between it and the
OM2n, but how does the program mode work. I'm waiting for Olympus to
send
me a manual but until then I'm interested in finding more out. I know
the
camera picks a shutter speed and aperature. I'd imagine that you set the
f stop to the minimum and the camera does the rest, but how does the
camera adjust the aperature. Does it only trip the diaphram lever on the
lens part way during the exposure or does it always stop the lens down
all the way and catches the right moment on the fly and release the
shutter at just the right time...

Jeff Bellin
Newton, MA

Hi neighbor,

The OM-2s follows a pre-set program according to the light intensity.
>From the graph I have it looks like the design is to hold the lens wide
open until the shutter speed is above 1/125.  It then starts
incrementing both aperture and shutter speed pretty much in parallel
until it hits max shutter speed. Then, of course, aperture has to take
over.

To use the program mode close the lens down to minimum physical aperture
or largest numerically.  This gives the camera maximal leeway to follow
the program.  If you don't close the lens all the way down then the
program mode will work but will be limited to whatever you choose as
minimum.  That allows you some creative leeway.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, MA