Re: [OM] We Span the Globe (was: Introduction)

Subject: Re: [OM] We Span the Globe (was: Introduction)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 01:18:55 -0800
>Evelyn Knight wrote:
>
>> I am new to this list and am glad to learn there is so much enthusiasm
>> for Olympus gear.

... and Ingemar Uvhagen replied as follows:

>Welcome to the best List on the Internet!
>You will notice that we are from all over the world - Sweden (like myself),
>Norway, Denmark, Germany, Holland, Argentina, Australia, USA, Canada and
>many more (can't mention them all, can I?).

Hmm, maybe not ***all***, but we would be definitely remiss if countries
of origin of some of our more frequent contributors were not mentioned:
Great Britain (John Gardner, David Brown, Clive Warren, Simon E., Keith
Berry, more), Ireland (Giles Stewart, Paul Haigney), Italy (Marco Tomat),
Spain (Angel Lobo Caballero), Belgium (Marc Simon), Japan (N.Maekawa),
Malta (Konrad Pizzuto), Turkey/Switzerland (OMer Gerek), Slovenia (Marko
Vrabek), Singapore (Jim Teo), Hong Kong (C.H. Ling), Greece (Alexander),
and more recently -- folks from Slovakia, Poland, Russia, India, Iceland,
etc.

(Anyone I neglected to mention or have misspelled his/her name, pls be
assured that it was unintentional, and pls accept my sincere apologies.
Don't be shy: feel free to correct me, and add to the above as needed.)

It is indeed awesome, and for me personally -- immensely gratifying, to
have this opportunity to conduct an ongoing conversation with so many
people from around the world, on a subject which enthuses and excites
us all -- OM's/Zuikos, and sometimes on other subjects as well :-).

I am particularly impressed with several of our members, who due to their
difficulties with the English language must go through the incredible
hassle of online language translators in order to read this list.

Having seen firsthand how terribly ineffective (almost illegible!) these
translations can be, I am horrified at the thought of how some of _my_
posts must sound in another language, after being butchered by one of
those translators.  (Gee, at times I wonder what Francisco Mostaccio
in Argentina must think of moi, when he reads some of my whackier stuff.
Oh well, he's probably too polite to tell us... :-) )

Oh, and before I forget -- a warm welcome to Evelyn Knight, Jeff Bellin,
Jon Josafatsson (Jon, your English is fine!), and, last but not least,
to our constantly growing "OM Kindergarten" :-)

Also, a heartfelt farewell to the few Zuiks who recently decided to
depart, or have gone on a temporary hiatus.  I hope you'll enjoy your
peace and quiet (and nearly empty mailboxes!! :-)).  However, beware
that it's really difficult to stay away from this list for too long.
Don't take my word for it: go ask Winsor Crosby and Clive Warren who
recently rejoined the OLY list (welcome back, guys!).

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, California, USA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx