Re: [OM] Olympus Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Flash
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:16:04 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/99 8:43:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
NadinaTony@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I have an OM1n and use a T-20. I only bought into the Olympus system
>  recently(hopefully not stupidly, given some of the doom and gloom I've read
>  recently about Olympus giving the game away). I always seem to get red eye
>  particularly for my niece who has blue eyes. What can I do to correct this
>  ? I know I'm to move closer and all that,but would disposing of the T-20 in
>  favour of a T-32 do the trick or would you recommend a Vivitar 283 or 285 ?
>  I also have a sunpak 433D Auto. Can I use that on the OM1n ?
>
>  Basically the question I'm asking is which is the best flash to use with
>  the OM1n, particularly in regard to red eye? Your responses would be
>  greatly appreciated.

The T32 would help, assuming you were in a situation where you could bounce
it. A 283 or 285 woul dwork just as well, IMHO. I have an old 283 I use with
my OM-1 all the time. It hasn't failed me in 20 years.

If you can't do bounce, then you need to get th eflash off of the camera, as
far from the lens as is practical. The Olympus flash extender should help,
and will retain your flash ready light operation in the finder. Another
option would be to put the flash on a bounce grip 2. This would give you the
option of bouncing the T20 or moving it away from the lens. Finally there are
generic shoe cords, some including tripod mounts, available at most photo
shops. You'll lose your ready light dedication, though.

The 283/285 both do bounce in the shoe. My 283 is kind of big, and I also
felt like it was going to break off the hot shoe on my OM-1, not that the T20
on extender (which I also have) inspires a lot of confidence! I usually put
the 283 on a cheap bracket. I use th e283's remote sensor cord, which sits in
the hot shoe. This lets me point the flash at will while still having the
sensor point in the direction of the camera.

On a related note, does anyone else here use an OM-1 with the bounce grip and
motor/winder? I find if I try to put the winder on the right side, near the
shutter release, th ePC cord on the grip is a *little* too short to plug into
the PC socket on the OM-1. I know I can use an extension cord, but that's not
very convenient. I know that John H. had said once that a shoe 3 could be
used on an OM-1 if you cut the extra pin(s). Is this true for the TTL
connector 3 as well? Not that changing shoes and connectors is all that
convenient, either!

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island