[OM] Red Eyes

Subject: [OM] Red Eyes
From: "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:52:10 -0400
Ángel,
Let me guess, previously you were using normal or wide-angle primes,
then you switched to the zoom.

Whether you get red-eye depends on the ratio of the distances involved:

distance from lens to eye
---------------------------------------
distance from lens to flash

The higher this ratio, the less opportunity for red-eye.

Also, the darker the situation, the more open your subjects' eyes will
be, leading to more red-eye

So you can avoid red-eye by:
 - moving closer
 - moving the flash further away from the lens ( The T-45 does a good
job of this.)
 - improving the overall lighting, or pre-flash to get the eye's iris
to contract
 - using bounce flash (moves the effective light source FAR away from
the lens)

Alternatively, maybe your red-eye was really blood vessels in the white
of the eye because your subjects were drinking too much alcohol!

Tom

From: Tom Trottier, President, ACT Productions Inc.
infoanim@xxxxxx                   http://www.act.ca
+1 613 594-4829                 fax +1 613 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 2P3
"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein