Re: [OM] Olympus POL filter linear?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus POL filter linear?
From: "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:20:08 -0400
It's easy to tell when a polariser is "circular."

Looking thru it from the lens' viewpoint, rotating the filter will
enhance/reduce reflections from glass, water, etc.

Looking thru it from the subject's viewpoint, there is no effect from
rotating the filter.

This is because the Circular Polariser is a sandwich of two layers. The
front is a regular linear polarising filter. The back de-polarises the
light so it will pass thru the OM 4 & 3 semi-mirrors evenly.

Light reflected from non-metallic surfaces is polarised. A polarising
filter will enhance or reduce the light intensity. Rainbows are also
polarised, and polarisers will enhance or reduce their intensity
depending how the filter's turned.

Interestingly, the depolarising layer will improve the accuracy of the
meter, since it won't be mis-measuring light from the subject that
comes thru the lens polarised in one direction or another!

Tom

From: Tom Trottier, President, ACT Productions Inc.
infoanim@xxxxxx                   http://www.act.ca
+1 613 594-4829                 fax +1 613 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 2P3
"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein