[OM] Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones  to use?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones  to use?
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 00:55:39 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Olympus List <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 1999 2:01 AM
Subject: Re: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones  to use?

> I have been also testing an Olympus B300 teleconverter designed for the
IS-3
> (L-3, IS-3000).  This is the infamous teleconverter I got in trouble by
ordering
> one from PhotoGraphic Photo & Video.  I now have one  from B&H and am
working to
> dispute the charge for their shipping of a Phoenix 2X Teleconverter by
> PhotoGraphic Photo & Video.  The B300 is a 1.7x teleconverter with a mount
> diameter of 55mm.  It mounts on the front of the lens rather than in
between the
> lens and the camera body.
>
> It is possible to use the B300 on the 200mm/5 (step-down ring) or on the
200mm/4
> , in which combo one begins to notice the problem of balance when mounted
on a
> tripod.  For faster shutter speeds, it has produced decent results.
>
> The big advantage of the B300 over the regular teleconverter is very
little
> light loss with this teleconverter.  Consequently, it is possible to use
faster
> shutter speeds, thus avoiding the camera/lens shake problem.

Tomoko, this is because (although referred to as such even by Olympus) they
are not teleconverters in the true sense. The correct technical term for
these front mounted auxiliary lenses is "Galileo telescope". Maybe though
it's better to just call them frontconverters? Anyway, contrary to ordinary
teleconverters which affect lens speed but not close focus, these
frontconverters affect close focus but not lens speed (well, not nearly as
much anyway). BTW, there are also wide converters in the IS system, but I
don't know if they can be used with OM lenses.

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden