[OM] slot canyons revisited

Subject: [OM] slot canyons revisited
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 23:48:34 -0600
My use of an Om4t as a "meter" for long exposures with a medium format
camera was subject of some discussion recently.  I just returned from yet
another slot canyon session.  It may have been obvious to many, but it just
dawned on me that I was making the setup much to complicated.  I had
previously set both my Om4t and my Pentax 67 on the same tripod side by side
using a bracket.  I pointed both cameras at the scene to be photographed,
set the apertures at the same f-stop, spot metered the scene with the Om4t,
fired the empty Om4t(since the exposure is "memorized" by the Om4t, the lack
of film in the camera does not cause a reflectance problem with the
exposure), immediately fired the Pentax as a time exposure and closed the
Pentax shutter as soon as the Om4t shutter closed.  It works very well but
is unnecessarily bulky.  I realized this last trip that since the Om4t meter
"memorizes" the spot meter exposure and is not a TTL function in this case,
the Om4t does not have to be on a tripod or pointed at the scene at all
during the exposure.  I just hung it around my neck, used it to spot meter
the scene, then let it dangle after tripping the shutter.  I could still use
its shutter speed to guide the Pentax exposure, but I did not have to
contend with two cameras on the same tripod.  Again, this was probably
obvious to many, but I just figured it out.

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM