Re: [OM] slot canyons revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] slot canyons revisited
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 02:52:23 EDT

>  I just hung it around my neck, used it to spot meter
>  the scene, then let it dangle after tripping the shutter.  I could still
use
>  its shutter speed to guide the Pentax exposure, but I did not have to
>  contend with two cameras on the same tripod.

To Ron and the group:

I just had my first slot canyon experience last week at Buckskin Canyon and
it was incredible. I changed my mind about taking my P645 because of the
weight of two systems so I took the OM4T and OM2s, for Velvia and Pan F. I
shot 7 rolls in 7 hours of rather slow hiking. Although the 35mm for the
P645(equivalent to 20mm in 35) is a fine lens, it doesn't really have a great
deal of more resolution than the Zuiko 21/3.5 or the 18/3.5, which are both
great lens, focus closer, and have wonderful contrast into the corners.
Tonality is another matter however.

The OM4 metering system worked _perfectly_ and allowed me to previsualize
exactly what would happen on the slide.  Some scenes had 10 to 14 stops
exposure variance between the sky and the shadows so I had to pick and choose
which parts of the canyon I wanted to expose. The OM4T allowed me to pinpoint
exactly what part of the scene I wanted to have metered correctly. One of the
surprise results was metering a shadow that seemed to be dark but was instead
suffused with an orange-red glow.

I used mostly the Zuikos 28/2.8 and 18/3.5 stopped down to f11 using the now
newsgroup tested method of OM4T mirror and aperture pre-fire.  Most exposures
were between 4 and 25 seconds, which was no problem for the spot averaging or
spot averaging with compensation.  All photos were extremely sharp, except
where I kicked the tripod.

For my next trip I may beg or borrow a 4X5 field with 65mm and 90mm
lens-using the OM4T as my meter of course.

Warren