[OM] OM] Scanning: film curvature problems

Subject: [OM] OM] Scanning: film curvature problems
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 02:44:10 -0700
Omer,

I've been scanning film for quite a few years and never heard this one.
Unless the film or slide mount is in real bad shape, the film holder or
slide mount do an adequate job of keeping the film flat enough for
scanning.  Most ccd's have a reasonable depth of field and this tiny
measurement would not effect the final scan. Some scanners like my new
Minolta 35 Quick Scan Plus have a manual focus knob to better focus when
using different thickness mounts.  However it's not that drastic in most
cases. I've seen some pretty sloppy methods of putting film on to the
glass of a PMT(drum) scanner (at 4000 dpi) and I don't think it has ever
made a difference other that the image needs some rotation correction.
Main thing is keep the film clean! Using the supplied holder will
noramally flatten out most 35mm film.

Phillip Franklin

Omer wrote....

"How does one overcome the problem of film surface curvature caused by
inserting the film in a frame while scanning - without taking the film
out of the frame? The film has a natural curvature, and sometimes the
rather stiff frames cause even more shape distortion. In fact, the same
problem appears on the projector, too. The overall shift from the plane
is less than 1mm, but we're talking about 3K-something dpi..."