[OM] OM-4 Pre-Fire Problems

Subject: [OM] OM-4 Pre-Fire Problems
From: "Kinkead, Frank W" <Frank.Kinkead@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:11:20 -0500
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 09:28:45 -0700
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 Pre Fire Problems

George wrote:

Chip;

One point I haven't seen mentioned is that you must pull the little tab
**up** before you try to move it dleft or right, as it's spring-loaded.

You very well could have glued it.  If so, they sell the parts at OLY
parts in NJ

George

Response:

George,

Thanks for the additional input.  I'm frustrated now that I've discovered a
use for the self-timer (ala mirror pre-fire) and I can't get it to function.
Problem is that I never used the self timer before I re-glued the
leatherette so I'm not sure if it ever functioned (was/is a well used
wonderful OM-4 named Bob).

One bit of additional information that could help me; I don't know how much
of the self-timer switch actually revolves left or right.  There's
apparently two shells or parts (one flush with the red light in the center)
and another just below it against the body.

- Do they both turn ? (if so, the glue may be the problem)

- How far up does the lever pull "up" ? (I've tried to carefully pull mine
up and I get no travel vertically whatsoever, although, the lever itself
does not seem to be glued down)

- Lastly, has anyone dis-mantled an OM-4 self-timer switch and is it
relatively easy to assess and use replacement parts (i.e. simple removal and
exposed workings under cover ?)

Thanks to George and anyone else who may have a little input.

Chip
St. Louis, MO