[OM] Tripod mounting vs. Handholding was OM to EOS Adapter

Subject: [OM] Tripod mounting vs. Handholding was OM to EOS Adapter
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 23:25:29 -0400
 Glen Lowry wrote:
> Using the usual structural supports--walls, knees, table, pianos etc--I know
our hand >actually absorb the shutter/diaphragm shock, but are me more effective
than a
>tripod?

If you compare the average mass of a tripod and a human adult body, the human
body wins hands down.  We also have enough water in our body to dampen any
vibrations.

The difficulty with handholding, IMHO, is that we humans as opposed to the
inanimate tripod cannot hold things steadily for a long time.  Come to think of
it, we are two-legged animals and our stability, standing still, isn't as good
as four-legged animals. Have you ever seen a rabbit frozen in motion for longer
than a few minutes?

Despite these problems of long-period stability, we can do very well in a short
period as long as we hold the camera properly.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/