Re: [OM] Scanning: film curvature problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning: film curvature problems
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 11:21:23 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:26:28 EDT, DLow358075@xxxxxxx wrote:

>We should have a forum moderator.....

I respectfully disagree. This list is one of the best behaved lists I
belong to (and I belong to well over a dozen and am listowner on
another).

>I also belong to the Jaguar org forums, and as a result of people posting
>stupid, off the subject to these (as well as defamatory remarks) forums, we
>have had to close the archives.. loosing several years accumulated and
>worthwhile wisdom.

To the best of my knowledge, we are currently running no such risk.
Have I missed some indication that there is a problem?

>I certainly think that this forum should be limited to OM cameras and
>accessories only. General photographic questions (as well as the daily inane
>('have you seen such-and-such on ebay?') should be barred.

I presume you would also bar the discussions that make the OM list
not only a source of information but a community of photographers
with a common interest? I feel like I've gotten to know several of
the regular posters, and it is precisely their off topic posts that
give them and the list a sense of personality. If off-topic
discussions were overtaking substantive issues, I would agree, but I
don't see any such thing occurring.

It occurs tome that since we have a searchable archive you currently
have available a resource to search out specific information without
being "subjected to" the witty asides that sometimes thrive in the
group.

>I notice that some of the more knowledgeable subscribers are leaving, and
>unless the tone of the group is raised, then more will do so.

Unless I've missed something, we have had one user unsubscribe
because he didn't like being disagreed with (and in my opinion had
failed to grasp the concept of discussion). Given his demeanor when
questioned or disagreed with, I personally didn't see his departure
as a loss. We still have a wealth of OM knowledge on-list.

>Quality not quantity.

Absolutely. However, a strict no-nonsense moderator is sure to limit
both. Why fix what isn't broken?

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel