RE: [OM] Foggy 65-200 f4 Zuiko

Subject: RE: [OM] Foggy 65-200 f4 Zuiko
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 14:56:30 +0200
Hi,

> I know this lens is fairly highly thought of.

It is an excellent lens, actually it's pretty much my favourite lens...

> I discovered one today in a secondhand shop for A
> $120 or about US$80, it basically looked pretty
> good, except looking through from the rear element I
> could see what looked like haze or fog. Not fungus,
> but possibly lubricant?

Hmmmm, if you're certain it's not fungus it may be a very interesting buy.
Brian Huber once bought a lens that had lubricant on it, it was very easily
cured.

Now, if the cleaning involves taking the lens apart, it may be a whole
different ballgame; I tried that on the 300/4.5. No success, I couldn't
reach the fungus and in the process of re-assembling the lens I small piece
of glass got chipped off the 2nd element from the front (contact me off-list
for a detailed story on what exactly happened). A zoomlens will have a
considerably more complicated design than a regular lens, so I can't
recommend taking it apart yourself.

John Hermason can probably give you some indications as to how much the
damage would be if you let it be cleaned by a pro. Over here (in The
Netherlands, that is) it could easily be $100.

The 65/200 (2nd handed) incl. caps (and sometimes a case) typically sells
for some $200 (USD). $80 is an excellent price if and only if it can be
cleaned easily, if not, then better forget about it.

> My question is whether it would be a worthwhile
> purchase given that I would have to fix it or pay to
> have it fixed. Has anyone had any experience of
> repairing/cleaning this lens?

See the above.

> Given some idea of what is involved I may be able to
> haggle a little over price :-)

If you can get it for some $40 - $50 it may still be well worth the money
(depending on how bad the "fog" is etc.). My suggestion: talk to both Brian
Huber (about the lubricant matter) and John Hermanson (for a professional
cleaning job), I expect both of them to send you a reply after they have
read your message, but in case you don't, you know who to contact...

Best of luck!
Olaf