[OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift

Subject: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:43:52 -0700
Warren,

B&H Photo (NYC) advertises the price of this lens for $1679.95.  It's
the second most expensive OM lens they sell (the 600mm 6.5 takes the
honors at $2299.95).  I'm sure there is someone out there that has a
need for this lens at this price, but I can't come up with a situation
which can justify spending this much on this lens.  If your interest is
in architectural photography then by all means get a view camera.  Yes
there is a Calumet medium format (6x9) view camera which uses standard
120 rolls.  I think with a good lens you'd be out the door for under
$2000 (brand spankin' new).

Otherwise you can do what I have been doing for the last several years.
Shoot the building with your almost new 24mm 2.8  Zuiko ($179.99 plus
shipping & handling) and fix the perspective in Photoshop with the
"Transform - Perspective" tool.  No one will ever know the difference
except your banker.  I swear.  I shot for a few local architects this
way for a few years.  I think there is a picture on some of my websitess
of the Solana Beach Train Station shot this way. (
www.phillipfranklin.com or www.photodistrict.com )
A friend loaned me his old 4x5 Sinar for several years but it was too
much trouble to carry around for what these guys wanted to pay for these
shots.

Seriously do learn to use a view camera for this type of work.  It will
teach many things about perspective control.  I think buying the  24mm
shift lens comes later in life when spending close to $2000 is less to
do with practicality and more of an ego thing.

Phillip Franklin