Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift

Subject: Re: [OM] looking for an affordable (used) 24mm shift
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 13:23:02 +0200
: Well, folks, it's NOT cheap (but not as stratospheric as I expected):
: According to the Jan. '99 issue of Shutterbug, Samy's Camera in Los
Angeles
: (www.samys.com) will sell you a "180mm F2.0 APO" for the most reasonable
sum
: of (gulp!) $5,995.  My guess is that doesn't include shipping.

That's a bargains. Dutch street price is f.12995 aka $6500. Zuiko 180mm/F2
becomes yours for f.19265 aka $9600. What the price for a new Ford Explorer
is, I don't know.
Anyway there are three possible reasons I can think off for a typical Leica
user to prefer the Zuiko instead of the Leitz lens:
1) he/she knows about quality and only wants the best
2) he/she thinks that what costs most is the best
3) he/she always buys what costs more, no matter if it's better or not, just
to show off.

Hnz (thinking the Leica R8 looks like an underwater camera and that a
Mercedes/Swatch Smart looks like a merge between a Dinky Toy and a mobile
telephone cell)