[OM] Photo Consplay

Subject: [OM] Photo Consplay
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 11:25:20 -0700
Zuiks:

Far below is a brief summary of the huge range of opinions I tabulated
on the OM photo
contest/display/dayinthelife idea.

And here're my suggestions, based on the tabulation:

        Seems most want the contest, but the #s are not that far apart.  Also,
a large majority want critiques/feedback on their entries from our panel
of experts (that's us.)  Also, the idea of themes seems to resonate with
most folks.  4-6 times a year appeals to most everyone.  And most would
allow any Oly body and any lens including 3rd party.  Also included
would be P&Ss and IS models.  The only Oly camera type that has not been
specifically included are digitals. Any thoughts?

        So, in order to get something done that may please the most folks, I
suggest:

* we start with one 'exhibit' of a 'Day in the Life' type.  Actually,
how about a 'Week in the Life' as it may not be possible for everyone to
get out on the same day.  That would be the first 'theme'.

* We would decide on a week, say starting 2 weeks from today, and then
have, say, 2 weeks to get entries in. So in about a month we would see
the first fruits.

* One entry per member would be digitized and e-mailed to me.  John
Petrush and Joel Wilcox have graciously offered their scanning services
for those in need. Please contact them off-line for details.  The image
should be scanned (either RGB or B&W) at a resolution of 72 pixels/inch
and appx 640/480 1:1 size. Saved as jpg medium res.  This should keep
image file sizes in the 20-50K range.  Enuf to show off on the screen,
but not so big as they take forever to download. Images should be
accompanied by the details: body, lens, film, aper., shutter even
filters. And a description of the image subject.

* I will handle the display of the images on a subpage of my site.  It
would be accessed by "http://www.whitneygallery.com/olympus"; I will
create thumbnails from the entries and have links to the larger photos.
I'm not quite sure how to handle the critiquing yet.  I may have to
actually write some code to do that!.  Certainly, list e-mails are one
way to handle it at first, unless folks object to what may be a huge
volume of e-mail.

* Once the exhibit is up, folks can bandy their critiques about.  All
list members are eligible to critique.  Each can critique none, one or
as many entries as they want.  Try to be constructive.

* This thing, if it survives infant mortality, may morph into a contest
I don't want to rule that out.  To appease those who would not enter if
it was a contest, we could have 2 'types' of entries: 'contest entries'
and 'for display and/or critique only'.

* I see the purpose as twofold at least: 1)Display our own work (strut a
bit) 2)A learning experience (from critiques of our own work and seeing
other peoples work)

So, feedback on these suggestions is encouraged, I'll do my best to get
this thing going if we decide we want it.

George

******************Tabulated results ********************************

Type:

- Contest w/member judging only                 1
- Contest w/member judging and critique         14
- Display only                                  10(about 1/2 want w/comments)

Periodicity: (to start. Many responders willing to increase after a
while)

- monthly
- 6 times/yr            3
- 4 times/yr            5
- twice/yr

Types:

- Themes                6   (Must be global
- no themes             2

[Possible Themes:
- Day in the Life (shoot one day only.)
- Water
- Faces
- 50m
- architecture
- kitchen
- people at work
- self portraits
flora
wildlife
abstracts
landscape
children
sports
]

Bodies:

- Any Olympus (incl IS, P&S, OM etc)            6
- Only OM

Lenses:

- Zuiko only
- Any lens on an Oly body                       6

Media:

- Film only
- Film and digital cameras

Entries:

- small to med JPEG w/pic, name, body, lens, aper, shutter, film. (as
many as poss.)
- should be 'new pix' taken for this thing              2

Voting:  (Concensus is overwhelming that all vote, whether they enter or
not.)

- One only      1
- 1,2,3         4  (Tallier scores 3 pts for 1st, 2 for second, 1 for 3rd)
- pick 3, no rank       1

Display page:

- Picture + tech details only. Critiques?
- After judging, names will be posted with pix.         5
- Names never posted                                    1

Volonteers:

- John Petrush - scanning of negs or slides.  HTML writing.
- Joel Wilcox - scanning slides and negs