Re: [OM] Bulb?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bulb?
From: Sean Mattingly <matting@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:30:46 +0200 (MET DST)
" Do you recommend using the Auto mode and let the camera do all the hard
" work?  Do any type of shots need > 2 mins??  Say I want a nice night scene
" with a 5.6 aperture, 100 or 200 speed lens of a busy street corner and i
" want some of the cars to look blury..Will the Auto mode do this?  How am i
" going to know how long to keep the shutter open for if I do manual with Bulb
" and a external shutter release?  Can someone please enlighten me?
"
" -Jeff

  I am far from an expert on night photos, but I have been recently fooling
around with night shots more than anything else.  Most of my good shots have
been taken in Auto mode with not too much exposure compensation.  OTOH,
one good one came from a spot meter reading off a green copper church
steeple in a shot with lots of streetlights...while all the Auto versions
of the shot were all way to dark.  *shrug* Of couse, as everyone will tell
you...bracket, experiment and bracket.

  The best pictures seem to come when there are a lot of light sources (like
your proposed busy street corner).  As for the cars, I suspect you won't
see the cars in the developed photo...you'll only see their head/tail lights.
Oh...most of the stuff I did was on print film and I have seen with my
own eyes the reason why people shoot slide film.  I have bracketed by up
to two stops and all the prints come out looking almost identical...it's
annoying, and usually crappy.

  Enjoy buring film...
--
Sean Mattingly                      |   What is, is
----------------------              |   What is not is possible