[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #973

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #973
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:47:47 -0700
>From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>It recently dawned on me why the MC lenses often do better than the SC
>lenses in the Reese tests. It's because the multi-coating adds additional
>mass and weight to the lens...

Hmmm...

>This *must* be true, because my 200 and 300 telephotos
>are both MC, and they are MUCH heaver than my SC 50/1.8 and my SC 21/3.5.

Aha! I found a flaw in your logic, so you must storm off now! :-)

No, seriously, you seem to have forgotten that milimeters have weight,
also. So in a tightly controlled experiment, I discovered that you are
right! My Tamron 300/2.8 (MC) is much heavier than my Zuiko 300/4.5 (SC)!
In fact, if we assume that "f stops" have weight also, you can see that MC
lenses more than make up for the reduction in weight due to fewer f stops
on the Tamron!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229