Re: [OM] OM-77

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-77
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 02:52:58 EDT

> Is any one on the list familiar with the OM-77? Is it any good, or is it
> junk?
>  Thanks
>  Terry

I wouldn't go so far as to be that demeaning but the Oly designers were kind
of brain dead on this one. I guess it's find for point and shoot negative
work. But, (there's a few), there is no exposure compensation so what the
camera wants, you get. There is exposure lock however so you can point at the
sky or where the sun doesn't shine and lock the exposure. Then you can
program shift to select the shutter/f stop combination that you want. It's
the only Oly camera that (I don't know about the IS series) shows you both
shutter speed and f stop. The auto focus is primitive, especially in
comparison to current models. It takes most of the regular Zuikos using
aperture priority but there's no viewfinder information then. They did offer
a couple of lens that you couldn't get in the Zuiko line, i.e. 70-200, 28-85,
50/2.8 macro, of which the 70-200 is a very sharp lens. But these lens won't
fit on regular OM's because the electronic contacts get in the way when you
try to mount them. It does take the F280 flash for sync up to 1/2000.

Still interested?

Warren