Re: [OM] Equipment prices vs. Everything else

Subject: Re: [OM] Equipment prices vs. Everything else
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:46:47 +0100
John Petrush wrote:
>...The lenses, however,
>were a bit of a surprise.  In general, Zuiko manual focus lenses were more
>expensive than Canon AF, which in turn were more expensive that Nikon AF.
It must be because of production volumes. C, N & M are all selling well and
can make a lot of lenses at a time, whereas the OM boom is long over and
production runs must be small. Sadly this creates a bigger price gap and
thus depresses sales even further.
>That rather surprised me.  Were I to start all over again, new and from
>scratch, it is actually much less costly to select one of the leading two
>manufacturers.  Odd how times change.....
The OM system is in a similar position to that of the Leica M system in the
heyday of the s.l.r. boom, but it survived as a niche market. Hopefully the
OM will do the same. I could never afford a new Leica anything and now I
accept that I'm never again going to be able to buy anything OM new.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx