[OM] OT: Moderator Blues (longish vent)

Subject: [OM] OT: Moderator Blues (longish vent)
From: Siri Bjoner <sbjoner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:00:02 +0200
Came into this discussion a bit late - I can't understand it, you guys all
have OMs and Zuiks that multiply, the only OM multiplying in my flat is
messages on the OM list. I was down to 2000 - almost under - for some
reason, I'm now on 3920. *sigh*

As for a moderator; I was on one (cuisine/cooking) list that turned really
boring after a year, because by that time, the circle was complete and old
discussions cropped up again. I was on another list (health/support) where
the moderator became a tyrant, kicking ppl offlist w/o a warning, sending
off personal, rude, extremely hurtful letters, spreading vicious rumours,
and monitoring every single mail sent to the list; not only did the list
die completely, but it caused a lot of pain and anguish to some of the ppl
who were kicked off. We had created a safe haven, where the one thing we
had in common was that we were all in one form of chronic pain or another,
and mailing lists such as that one our (almost) only source of
communication with the outside world.

In the end we started a new mailing list, w/o a moderator, but by that time
there was so much bitterness and resentment between everyone that our sense
of community never came back. That list died, too.

I have been on this list for more than 5 yrs now - and sure, threads turn
up time and time again. (I won't even mention them for fear of a "What's
that?" ;-) My mailbox gets filled if I'm away from my 'puter for more than
2 days. I still have unread mails from last July........
*BUT* I also have a delete button and filters on my Eudora. I wouldn't miss
all the OT stuff for all the world (although, IMHO, DL are terrible..... I
much prefer DM.... ;-D) As long as no-one starts discussing AOL, I'm fine
with any and all OT stuff.

If a moderator were to take over this list, I don't think I'd hang around
too long....

Siri.

po box 9024 gronland, n-0133 oslo mailto:sbjoner@xxxxxxxxx fone: +47 9010
4635 fax: +47 9030 6420
"argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours" ... r. bach