Re: [OM] OM-4 diopter adjustment

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 diopter adjustment
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 06:41:13 +0000
At 05:19 6/8/99 , Glen wrote:
>I've got an OM-4 and no manual.  I want to reset the diopter to 0.  In a
>sense I realize that this is a bit of an obvious question,  but how does one
>know when the diopter is back at zero?  I keep flipping the magnification,
>but I can seem to find "the best" setting for me tired eyes.  I would be
>happy if I new that this camera was set up the same as my other
>bodies--i.e., with no compensation.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.

Here it is straight from the OM-4 manual:

1.  Detach the lens (yep, ya do this with no lens on the body).
2.  Pull and rotate the diopter adjustment knob until the microprism
becomes clear.  Push the knob back in until it locks (what I do is look at
the display at the bottom of the frame also).

This took me a couple of times before I got it down.  As I have worn
glasses for nearly all my life I don't know how I lived without dioptric
correction before.  It is *much* easier using a viewfinder and focusing
without glasses on . . . if you have dioptric correction.

>From the specs in the back of the manual, the correction range is +1.0 ~
-3.0 diopters.  Never did worry about where the "zero" position is.  To
figure that out I would count the number of steps including the first and
last position.  It *should* be some number divisible by 5 (the range is 5
diopters, counting zero correction).

-- John