R: [OM] OM-77

Subject: R: [OM] OM-77
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 12:25:56 +0200
I have a cople of them and I do think they are a good idea:

AF with IR emission
super FP synchro mode
vertical shutter and 1/100 syncro time, 1/2000 fastest.
takes most zuikos
bright screen (kinda of 2-4)
in-built winder, rewinder, flash
takes the 28-85 and 70-210 AF zooms, not available as Zuikos
takes the 50 f/2.8 macro lens, not available as Zuiko
it can be found very cheap, the same the AF OM lenses
use 4 common AAA alkalines.

main cons:
no true exposure compensation (AE lock is useful, but I cannot, say, expose
my Velvia always at 40 ISO, for instance)
no manual mode
works in normal-auto with zuikos, in continuous light, only (and no info in
viewfinder)
works in f/4 1/100 mode with non dedicated flashes with AF lenses, only
the AF is clumsy compared to nowdays', maybe more or less of the quality of
the IS-1's. But no real bad.
few offbrand lenses were available in AF mount, and no AF TC at all (asfaik)

imho a good performer for street photography with a 24 AF on, or an easy
companion for a trip (with a 24, a 50 macro and a 70-210 for instance). With
a 28-85 or a 35-105 is like a big p&s, but brighter and of better quality
than most.

Marco